Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back from a 3 day weekend

Today was another hot one.  It is supposed to reach 91 degrees and because of this we had all the normal questions, "Are we getting out early?" "(The neighboring school) is getting out why aren't we?" "Today's hotter why aren't we getting out early?"  This lead to a little rowdy class, but it was still successful.  We are wrapping up with self-concept and we ended it with case studies.

  1. I first started by handing out the Self-Concept worksheet to everyone in the class Self-Concept Cycle.  
  2. I also copied this up on the board.  
  3. We then went through one test study as a group (we went over the Mother). Self-Concept Case Studies
  4. After we filled up the self-concept cycle worksheet we determined that the mother had a negative self- concept and we went back around and gave examples of how she could change this to be positive.
  5.   After we all went over the self-concept cycle, I explained how we were going to split up in groups and as a group they were going to go through their own case study.
  6. I then was hit with the most common question in group work, "Can we pick out own groups?"  I allowed them to pick their own groups with the understanding that this is the tester and if they can work well together they would be allowed to continue picking their own group.
  7. I gave them their poster board and case study and told them I what I expected.
    • My Expectations:
      • Self Concept Circle drawn Large in center
      • Sub categories that result from their case study
      • Determine whether the cycle is positive or negative.
      • Give examples of how they can turn their self concept into a positive one.
  8. They had twenty minutes left and used this time very wisely.  I was very impressed.  
  9. Tomorrow they will have some time in the beginning of class to finish it, and then present their case study to the class.
I was really nervous that this lesson was going to bomb and be a disaster, but I was pleasantly surprised that they responded really well and was right there with me.  Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment