Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Another Day Another Class

Today I have officially picked up another class... HEALTH.  I have my health endorsement but have only taught a 10 minute health lesson, never had a heath practicum, or any other experience.  I started with chapter 7: Emotional and Mental health.  We started by defining mental and emotional health and then going over the 5 characteristics of positive mental health.  I put these on the board and we gave examples, bad or good.  After this we did started talking about Maslow's hierarchy of Needs.  I used the book and it had a great example of a paper project that turned into a triangle.


 Steps to make Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Foldable:

1. Get three blank pieces of paper.

2. Separate the papers by about 3/4".  Making sure they are evenly spaced and the sides are straight.

3. Fold up the bottom half of the stack of papers 3/4" from the top half.  All tabs should be the same  size.  There should be a total of six, with the sixth tab being larger.


4. Staple at the very bottom to keep the pages in place.


5.Cut the sides of the paper to form a triangle.  


6. Make sure that you do not make a tip at the triangle but rather a flat top.  Shown below
7. The first thing I wrote on the big flap at the bottom was Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  Good Emotional/Mental Health

8. Next I labeled the other tabs according to Maslow's triangle.  I noticed some of the wording is different but this is how my book states it.
9. Now each tab has it's own space to write down key words or thoughts.  Folding down the big flap at the bottom is where the first one goes, physical.
10. I asked my students to tell me the definition, why it is important, examples of it, how to achieve it, and also draw a picture.  Repeat this for each step of the triangle, and your students have a great reference to Maslow's Triangle.

In Child Development we did started off by the "parents" of the weekend talking about their babies and how it went.  Most talked about how it was fine, but it cried all the time or they didn't want it again and it would be awhile before they had children.  After that we went into discussion about planning for a pregnancy.  Most said they want to have children by the time they are 25 (seems young to me but I am sure I said the same thing in high school).  After that my cooperating teacher has signs with situations on them that she let me use and I had them raise their hands if they wanted to have completed this before they had a baby.  Some examples were own a business, buy a fancy car, get married, spend your own $.  After we talked about it and showed hands we then went back and talked about if these things were possible if they did have a child.  This sparked some debate and we had some good conversations.

In Family Relations what I thought was going to be a short introduction activity turned into a 45 minute debate.  I had them fill out a sheet about dating (attached Below).  I told them they did not have to tell about themselves if they felt uncomfortable but to tell a story about someone they knew or saw in a movie.  After they had time to fill it out we discussed some of the ideas and thoughts.  I did not go around the room asking for specific examples but asked for people to volunteer.  We had a few brave souls tell their stories and then this lead to more conversation.  It was a really great way to get to know students and also see their views on dating.

Introduction to Dating

No comments:

Post a Comment