Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Day at the Middle School.

Today I spent the day at the middle school.   The only time I have spent observing a middle school was in a practicum in college.  Since I will not be student teaching in a middle school setting I decided to come to the middle school for a day.  There were some major differences that I observed.


  1. Middle schoolers are a lot more energetic.  
    • High schoolers you can tell are more sluggish and are as excited to talk in class.  The sixth graders got excited to have a scavenger hunt in their kitchen, and I sometimes miss that excitement to do activities.
  2. NO CELL PHONES!
    • Middle schoolers are not allowed to have their cell phones, which means no cell phone usage in class!  I understand the need for the cell phone as I was too that student in high school, but as a teacher it can be difficult and annoying!
  3. Much smaller classes.
    • My average class size is 20, with my biggest class being 25 students.  In the middle school  the biggest class is around 12.  I am from a small school and I feel comfortable in this type of setting, but bigger classes have gotten me out of my comfort zone.  
  4. Class requirements.
    • The middle school is required to put up the learning expectations.  For example, the 6th graders- Students will be able to find and recognize kitchen equipment.  They also have to read something in the beginning of every class.  The teacher must model it and then the students have to read it by themselves.  After they read it they are asked a question.  This is to help their reading comprehension.
There are many other differences but also similarities.  It was good to observe a different classroom and get a feel for the middle school atmosphere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment