Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2012

Flight

Today is the day! Time for me to leave good ol Iowa for a big change in scenery, Norway. I left my house around 730 to head for the Des Moines airport. My bag weighed 52 lbs, 2 lbs over so I removed a binder and was ready to go. Saying goodbye to my mom was hard, and a little tear was shed, but I was ready for my venture ahead! I boarded my flight from Des Moines and took an hour flight to Chicago. Our plane however was about the size of Kim Kardashian's closet.


When I arrived to Chicago our plane taxied for about 30 minutes, which put me a little behind. I was surprised the Chicago airport did not have a train system as I had to walk quite a way for terminal 1. I had about an hour and 15 minute wait so I grabbed a quick lunch at the McDonald's next to my gate. I didn't see the two girls from Iowa state I was traveling with while I was boarding so I figured maybe I was flying alone. Luckily, the boarded later and all was good. I was sitting on the aisle, and he asked if I was sitting alone. I answered yes and he asked I would switch seats with his girlfriend. She said that she bought 2 tickets so no one would be sitting next to me. This worked out perfect for me and my 8 hour flight begun. During the flight I watched 3 different movies on the small screen.


They served a lunch/supper about 2 hours in, and it definitely wasn't what I was expected. I would recommended eating before you get on the plane.


After sleeping for about 2 hours we finally arrived in Frankfurt, Germany. We had about a 2 hour layover. I was looking for a breakfast sand which I am guessing is an American thing as I could not find it, so I selected a mini pizza. Finally our last plane arrived and our next stop would be Norway!!! By this time we all had been up for close to over 24 hours. No one was sitting next to me so I got to spread out and sleep. WE FINALLY MADE IT!!!!!


We passed customs and now all we had to do was wait, 4 hours! We made good use of our time as we got something to eat. My quesadilla was 149 kroner which is about $30 US dollars. Everything is expensive in Norway. We played Bananagrams, UNO, and card games to pass the time.





After four hours of games and trying to stay awake we boarded a bus which took us down to the water taxi that would take us to Rosendal.






During this time we met the other two girls who we would be living with from Utah. They had also been traveling all day. We were all pretty beat when we finally arrived to Rosendal. Stein, the middle school principal, picked us and drove us to our cabin. We dropped off our luggage and off to Stein's house we went for supper. His wife made us a wonderful meal, and we had great conversation. The day had finally ended and off to bed we went. The day was long and tiring but I was excited for what was to come next.
Location:In the air ✈

No comments:

Post a Comment