Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! 

In Norway Halloween is a new thing.  The stores are really pushing it and getting the children interested with costurmes and candy!!  I made sure to start every class off with telling them Happy Halloween. 

Today is a really rainy day in Husnes, and usually I like rain but I have PE today which means I will be outside in the downpour.  Luckily, half of the students were inside so I got to join them and stay warm.  We played dodgeball but they have a little different rules.  We split up into two teams and they had 2 Kings.  Each King had 3 lives and started on the opposing teams end line.  We played with only one ball.


If you got a player out they didn't go to the sideline they went to the opposite side end line.  The players could throw the ball to them and they could throw it and get the players out.

Once there is only one player left on a side the King gets to come back over and play.  The King has 3 lives so you must kill him and get the rest out to win the whole game.

Also they do not call it dodgeball they call it CannonBall.  This was a fun indoor sports activity and hopefully I can teach them the American way.
In FCS today we were talking about fat.  Since most of the lecture is in Norwegian I decided I wanted to show them how we have so many fast food resturant and how this is contributing to the obesity in America.

When I ask the kids what they think of when they hear American food and they say McDonalds and Burger King.  I see a HUGE difference in Norway as they do not have fast food restaurants in Husnes or Rosendal.  I decided to take them on a “tour” of my town and show them the main strip of restaurants.  I got on Google street view and we “drove” through all the restaurants: Applebees, McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, and many more.  The kids were jealous of all our options but I reminded them that these okay if you have them once in a while, but with so many and it being so cheap that is why America is becoming more obese. 
KFC
McDonalds


Perkins


 

No comments:

Post a Comment