Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

First Class Taught

I made my transition today into teaching.  I decided to start with Family Relations.  It has 20 students (juniors and seniors), 19 females and 1 male.  I ensured our lone male that we value his opinion and he will not be taken down by the estrogen in the room.  The first unit is all about Self.  Self-esteem, self-concept, personality, growth, and any other side conversations that come up.  So I started with personality and  how it involves your heredity, environment, and your response.  I tried to have this become a conversation, but I was faced with blank faces and I had to call on names to get responses.  I hate doing this.  I see my teaching strategy as a big group discussion.  Family and Consume Sciences is a class where we teach stuff that will be used after high school and I want my students to get the most meaning out of our content.  I want my students to lead the class while I take them in the right direction.    I was met with hesitation, but maybe they are getting used to me as a person.  I was a little discourage, but it was the first week and it will get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment